Monday, April 11, 2016

"Andre the Giant Life and Legend" Graphic novel

If you were a boy in the 80's you really should read this graphic novel.
I grew up watching Andre the Giant Wrestle in the WWF. Some of the matches told graphically I watched on TV as a kid.
The story is a great documentary of his life.
I didn't know he came from France.
It gives you life from his prospective from a moment in his life where he is 12 years of age.
At 12 he is already treated as if he was a freak. This greatly effects his naturally kind heart and twists it to defend himself with verbal outburst to scare people and he self medicates with tons of alcohol due to his size.
His greatest strength in everyones else's eyes who don't know him is his greatest weakness in his own.
The hook that got me into the story was the fact that this was about Andre the Giant and then the opening scene with Terry Hogan (Hulk Hogan). It's a interview where Hulk tells his side of the story and how he saw Andre's sadness and pain especially toward the end of his life. At least when he was younger he had his physical dominance to make himself feel better. In the end he was literally a broken man. His worst enemy was his own body.

Andre died at the age of 43 years old.
43!
I am 39 now.
At 39 he began to fall apart.
I can relate in a way. No where near what he experienced but I did a lot in my youth that trashed my body but I was always able to recover. When I hit 36 I seemed to stop the ability to recover completely. The things I have always been able to do I can't anymore.
Example
I used to do pull ups with three 45 lb plates hanging from me. 135lbs.
Now I have injuries that prevent this.
So, guys my age, spend some time reading the story.
It's easy. Theres pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment