Sunday, February 28, 2016

Hamlet

I decided to watch Hamlet. My wife who has actually read the story warned me about it. As it is written in old english. My first question is, was this the way they spoke back then or is it poetry for their time?
I watched the Mel Gibson 1990 movie. I love the old Mel Gibson action movies so I figured he could get me through it.
It left me waiting for the young Mel Gibson to beat the crap out of somebody. It reminded me that the stories told then where just that, stories. They weren't movies filed with the fluff of special effects and fast pace of today.
Hamlet also has many phrases that echo even today in movies, stories, and quotes that one might say from time to time.
It takes some time to try to decipher the language. That in it in itself takes some concentration. It was impressive to see how the story unfolded without the crazy pace of todays stories. I can see it retold again and again timeless. I can see why it is timeless. Loss of family, grieving of the loss, the search for the cause, denial, anger, revenge, love, betrayal, an affair, and murder.
Toward the beginning of the last quarter of the story is the only time people start to die. This is normal for a climax placement in a story.
The King which is the prior Kings brother who killed him.  Turns Hamlets brother against Hamlet
The final scenes are of Hamlets battle with his brother. They duel with swords.
The King poisons some wine meaning to give it to Hamlet. Hamlet does not except and Hamlets mother ends up drinking the poisoned drink.
Once she feels the effects of the poison she realizes it was from the drink which comes full circle to how the original king was killed. Hamlets brother coated his weapon with poison and cut Hamlets arm. Hamlet intern takes the same blade piercing his brothers chest. After his mother dies Hamlet kills the King forcing him to drink the poison and then Hamlet dies.
The whole blood line is lost.
Awesome ending...
Murder Death Kill!!!



In the movie we saw in class. Don't remember the name but it was a great alternative perspective to the play. A point of view from the perspective of two supporting actors in the play. It nice to approach the story. To make a person revisit the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment