Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Pride and Prejudice Part 1

So this is Part one of my Pride an Prejudice Blog

Pride and Prejudice a novel by Jane Austen, first published in 1813

I originally chose to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies for this blog.

My wife, that apparently minored in Lit, suggested watching the movie before the Literature because she stated that it is a very hard book to follow due to the old language used in it. So, I will first watch the movie then read the Zombie version.

I do understand that this book was a huge step for the Women's rights struggle and it opened peoples eyes and minds about the plight that women faced back then which in all reality this struggle continues today in some ways.

So, I am a late 30's man with a Military Special Operations, Police, and Firefighter Unga background watching this...movie. I chose the Joe Wright 2005 movie with Keira Knightley.

Keira Knightley and Donald Sutherland playing Mr. Bennett made it bearable for me.

I am currently half way in the movie in 3 days if this gives any bearing of how much I enjoy the movie.

The story does give the insights to the glorious or inglorious past in human history. Set in England it shows the clash of classes and the struggle to maintain such bigoted values. Upper class are not to mingle with the poor but the Middle class struggles to sell off their daughters to ensure wealth within the family. Women didn't have much say as to who they were, what they did, or who to marry. The character Elizabeth hard headed nature goes against the thinking of the time.

She is in a constant struggle the whole movie trying to figure out the truth about two men she is fond of. Both men hate the other and tell her their side of the story as to why. At this moment I have the movie paused at this point.

Now there are other stories going on at the same time hers is in the background that echo the plight of women and what she is fighting against to be her own woman. Not a woman someone wants her to be.

It will be interesting to read some of Zombie version to see how this story gets twisted.

End part 1

No comments:

Post a Comment