Sunday, January 31, 2016

True Grit Part 1

The story Of True Grit.
By Charles Portis published in 1968.
I first heard of True Grit through my father growing up as a kid. He was a huge John Wayne fan... Huge fan along with my grandmother and grandfather. So we used to watch all the John Wayne movies that came out. I saw True Grit as a kid but being a kid there was a miss in translation. I just saw the classic stud John Wayne playing the character he had always played in movies. Only At the end I remembered that he Rooster Cogburn dies. That stuck with me. "John Wayne isn't supposed to die in movies!" Anyway, now I have this literature as an assignment.
I listened to Audio book while sculpting.
Luckily I listened to a good portion of it before it was blocked by You Tube for Copy write violation. This literature is from the point of Mattie. I have heard from different sources that this was pretty ground breaking in the way Portis accomplished this point of view.
It give the read a great insight into Mattie's character.
A head strong young girl that was out of her realm trying to avenge her fathers death by hunting down his killer to have him go before a judge for the murder of her father. Or kill him.
I found that she was quite a bit more educated than the average male characters she ran into. But she lacked experience needed to truly survive in the world she lived in. She was sheltered in a small town.
Of course I love the character Rooster Cogburn. He's an old cowboy that does things his way to get things done the way he sees they need to be done. He also does have a huge heart. It's just he has a bad reputation for killing all the men he is sent to retrieve for trial. Not his fault if they all attack him first. He is just forced to protect himself.
So I made it through a good portion of the book.
I have seen the old John Wayne version probably around 25 to 30 years ago.
I saw the Jeff Bridges version a couple years ago which I enjoyed a lot. The casting of the characters was great.
I will now go back and watch the John Wayne version again then post a part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment